The Golden Joystick Awards 2016, London: Overwatch, Dark Souls 3, And Blood & Wine Bagged Most Awards
The Golden Joystick Awards hosted in London is now 34 years old and is second to the oldest video game awards after the Arcade Awards.
The winners of the Golden Joystick Awards were announced on Friday, and proved to be a successful evening for Dark Souls 3, The Witcher 3: Blood and Wine & Overwatch. In Golden Joystick Awards, unlike other Game Awards, the majority (21 out of 25 categories) of the winners are picked by the fans themselves.
Blizzard’s Overwatch bagged the most awards. The online shooting game took the Best Original Game, Best Multiplayer Game, Competitive Game of the year, Best Gaming Moment & PC Game of the year awards.
Dark Souls III won just one out of four nominations, but the creator FromSoftware isn’t complaining as the action role-playing game won the biggest award of the evening: Ultimate Game of the Year.
Witcher 3: Blood & Wine won three awards on the night namely Best Storytelling, Visual Design & Gaming Performance awards. Everyone who has played the latest add-on for the game (Blood & Wine) can tell you that it not only is the best expansion pack ever released but gives you the greatest gaming experience as well.
Another great night for CD Projekt Red as last year The Witcher 3: The Wild Hunt won Game of the year award and this time the developer has won the Studio of the year award.
On the other hand, the night was not up to the scratch for Uncharted 4. The PlayStation 4-only appeared in six categories at the Golden Joystick but won just one: PlayStation Game of the Year. Uncharted 4 has the most nominations in the next month’s award ceremony.
The full list of winners is as under:
- Ultimate Game of the Year in association with GamesRadar+ – Dark Souls 3
- Best Original Game in association with The Sun – Overwatch
- Best Storytelling – The Witcher 3:Blood and Wine
- Best Visual Design – The Witcher 3:Blood and Wine
- Best Audio in association with DTS – Fallout 4
- Best Indie Game in association with Kotaku UK – Firewatch
- Gaming Personality of the Year in association with Guinness World Records – Sean Plott (Day)
- Best Multiplayer Game in association with PC Gamer Weekender –Overwatch
- Competitive Play of the Year in association with PC Gamer Pro – Coldzera’s jumping AWP quad kill at MLG Columbus
- Best Gaming Moment in association with Absolute Radio – Play of the game in Overwatch
- YouTube – Upcoming Personality of the Year – Jesse Cox
- Studio of the Year in association with Edge – CD Projekt Red
- Innovation of the Year – Pokémon GO
- Lifetime Achievement Award – Eiji Aonuma
- Best Gaming Platform – Steam
- Best Gaming Performance – Doug Cockle
- Competitive Game of the Year in association with PC Gamer Pro – Overwatch
- Nintendo Game of the Year in association with Gamesmaster – The Legend of Zelda:Twilight Princess HD
- Playstation Game of the Year in association with OPM – Uncharted 4: A Thief’s End
- Xbox Game of the Year in association with OXM – Rise of the Tomb Raider
- PC Game of the Year in association with PC Gamer – Overwatch
- Handheld/Mobile Game of the Year in association with Digital Spy – Pokémon GO
- Breakthrough Award – Eric Barone – Stardew Valley
- Hall of Fame – Lara Croft
- Critics Choice Award – Titanfall 2
- Most Wanted Game in association with Green Man Gaming – Mass Effect Andromeda
What are your thoughts about this news? Let us know in the comments below.